Friday, August 8, 2008

Im an Idiot

Soooooo. I was mistaken. It seems i have way too many partitions for my 4 HDDs and coupled with the fact i had a USB hub with some flash drives attached and a card reader installed when i reinstalled windows (on a different partition thank god, as apparently when i first installed windows, it was NOT on the C drive as i thought) that the new windows install didnt recognize one of my hard drives, at all. So i thought my files were overwritten when in actuality they werent even seen.
After pulling out the hub and unplugging the card reader, the new windows install finally could see my other HDD, and with it my old windows install. So after copying over the hal.dll from new to old, i restarted and entered the recovery console.
I recreated my boot.ini and moved to the next step.
From there, i discovered (at least it seems) that before i installed the new windows, i couldnt run bootcfg /rebuild on my C drive because there was no installation of windows on there previously, but i understood the error as "yer fucked".
But it seems that that was the case, as i ran it again on the old windows partition and it ran fine. I included my old install in the rebuild but not the new one. Rebooted and BAM, old windows works again. I then proceeded to delete everything i can from the new install and happy days are here again.

No comments: